Skip to main content block
:::
Introduction
    History Introduction
    Lingya District is comprised of four villages: Lingyaliao, Guotianzai, Wukuaicuo and Lindeguan.

    Lingzai is the name for a fishing net, while Liao means a simple shack, therefore Lingzailiao has the meaning of a place where fishermen of Kaohsiung Harbor store their fishing nets. Guotianzai derived its name from the fact that the area consists of a vast span of farmland, and the residents need to cross over the ridge between the fields. Lindeguan is situated between Guotianzai and Wukuaicuo; there are two sources of origin for its name, the first being that the land was developed by the Lin family, the other is that it was named after the name Lin Jhu-gan because the area was originally a bamboo forest, and therefore the homonym of Lindeguan was used. Wukuaicuo is the easternmost village in Lingya District, where during the Mingjheng Period, the Jhang, Wang, Wu, Fang and Chen families arrived here with the army to develop the land and constructed five thatched cottages. This is from where the name was derived.
    In response to changing times and for the convenience of administration and management, the district boundary and Li has been reformed several times; currently there are 69 Lis in the district, making it a prosperous, healthy and cultural trading town in Kaohsiung City, which is also teeming with talent.
    Lingya is one of the old streets, and according to the Fongshan County Caifangce,“Nengyaliao St. gradually developed.” The district is comprised of four villages: Lingyaliao, Guotianzai, Wukuaicuo and Lindeguan. The terrain is elongated from east to west and narrow from south to north, forming the shape of a Ruyi. In 1920, Kaohsiung State was formed and the Lingyaliao District government building was abolished, and the district was incorporated into the Kaohsiung St. of Kaohsiung Prefecture. In 1924, Kaohsiung St. was upgraded to Kaohsiung City, while Lingyaliao, Guotianzai and Lindeguan were also included. Wukuaicuo became subordinate to Fongshan St. in 1935, and the administration area of Kaohsiung City was expanded, where government buildings were built in Lingyaliao and Guotianzai. In 1940, Wukuaicuo was incorporated into the city from Fongshan St., and the Wukuaicuo government building was created.
    :::